Renter’s Insurance Certificate Holder | An In-Depth Guide by Expert

The entity to which the certificate of insurance gets provided upon request is known as the renter’s insurance certificate holder. The contact information of the certificate holder gets included in a designated location on the certificate of insurance forms.

When you work for a firm that engages outside companies to perform services, such as cleaning or landscaping, your employer will need these companies to present evidence of insurance.

It’s doubtful that the vendor will win the contracting business unless the vendor can offer the employing firm the renter’s insurance certificate and name it as the certificate holder.

For the same reason, landlords often want to be listed as interested parties on their tenants’ insurance policy. To this end, we have made this post to educate you regarding renter’s insurance certificate holders. Come along!

Renter’s Insurance Certificate Holder: What does it mean to be an Interested Party?

Renter’s Insurance Certificate Holder

An interested party, also referred to as an extra interest or party of interest in the case of renters insurance is a person or corporation that will get notified if you make modifications to your policy. In other words, if you change, don’t extend, or terminate your renter insurance plan, your insurer will notify the interested party (most likely your landlord).

It’s worth noting that renters insurance renews itself typically, so there’s no likelihood of this occurring by coincidence. Homeowners and property management businesses also want to be interested parties on their tenants’ renters’ insurance policies.

This is an entirely innocuous request; adding them will have no impact on your renter’s insurance cost (the amount you pay for your insurance). It will not extend your policy’s coverage to them, nor will it allow them to amend any of the policy’s conditions.

Certificate holders are people who have additional interests. Also known as a renter’s insurance certificate holder, someone identified as an interested party on a renter’s insurance policy is often referred to as a renter’s insurance certificate holder. The certificate in discussion is proof of renters’ coverage paperwork.

Why do landlords want their names included in the list of interested parties?

Renter’s Insurance Certificate Holder

If your landlord requests to get named as an interested person on your renter’s coverage policy, it’s because they want to make sure that you do, in reality, have coverage.

They can validate that you acquired adequate coverage, that you’re paying your monthly payments on time, and that your policy hasn’t expired as an interested party. A simple technique to provide evidence of renters insurance is to include your landlord in your policy.

Landlords are often concerned about whether their renters have renters insurance. When renters are insured, landlords typically feel safer. If you have renter’s coverage, there’s no way you’ll attempt to sue your landlord for money if your apartment burns down and you need to replace your belongings or stay in a hotel for a few days.

In case, you have liability coverage, you and your landlord’s other tenants will get financially protected in the event of a disagreement. If you bring in your landlord to mediate, this makes things easy for them.

Is it necessary to include my landlord on my renter’s insurance policy?

It varies for each landlord. However, some ask that you add them as a party interested in the transaction. This is legal – landlords have the right to demand renters insurance and even specify the liability coverage you must get.

Your landlord has the authority to take reasonable steps to ensure that you are complying. Don’t panic if you need to include your landlord as an interested person in your policy.

The procedure is simple, and as previously said, adding your landlord is risk-free. Interested parties cannot alter your insurance, and introducing one does not incur additional costs.

Consider dismissing them and searching around for a better price if your insurer attempts to charge you a fee to include an interested party.

How to Add an Interested Party

How to Add an Interested Party

The procedure for adding a third party is different according to your insurer, but it usually goes like this:

Step 1: Purchase a renters insurance coverage.

Before you do anything else, you’ll almost certainly need to get renters insurance coverage. Many insurers let you buy plans online, but others may need a phone call. Virtually no insurance these days expects you to visit a physical location.

Several renters’ insurance companies (including State Farm, Progressive, USAA, and Lemonade) enable you to add an interested party to your quotation when you acquire it online. This is even before you complete your transaction.

You may skip step three if you’re getting insurance from one of them. You’re through after you’ve gathered the data in step two and completed the purchase of your insurance.

Step 2: Gather the data you’ll need.

You’ll need to give your insurer your landlord’s contact information if you want to add them to your renters’ insurance. Tell them you would like to add a new insured to your policy, and they’ll tell you what they require.

You’ll need your property manager’s or landlords complete name, postal address, phone number, and an active email account in addition to your home’s address. You will not be required to disclose sensitive personal information such as a Social Security Number.

Step 3: Get in touch with your renter’s insurance provider.

Most renters insurance providers have a website (or, in Lemonade’s case, an app) where you may amend your policy. Both State Farm and Progressive permit this.

Smaller insurers with less sophisticated websites, on the other hand, may need you to phone an agent. After informing your provider that you wish to include your landlord as an interested person, you’re through. Shortly after you add them, your provider will send them an email or snail mail with an explanation of your insurance.

Frequently Asked Questions

What’s the difference between an extra interest and an additional insured?

As previously stated, the terms “additional interest” and “additional insured” are not synonymous. Because the phrases seem similar, many people (even landlords) get them mixed up. Ensure you know what the differences are between the two terms:

Additional points of interest: An extra interest in the context of renters insurance is someone who gets information regarding the state of your policy. In a nutshell, they’re a watcher. They cannot change your policy or submit claims on your behalf.

Additional insured: An additional insured, also known as a supplementary insured, is someone who gets covered by your insurance. If your housemate doesn’t have their insurance, for example, you might add them as an extra insured to yours. (However, sharing rules amongst roommates isn’t always a brilliant idea.).

Other covered parties may file renter’s insurance claims, but they cannot amend or cancel your policy.

Is it possible to transfer a no-fault insurance discount acquired in another country?

If you have accumulated a no claims bonus outside of the United States, you can transfer it when you return to the United States. On the other hand, this is at the discretion of the insurance carrier, and not all handle international NCDs the same way. So please verify with them first before making any assumptions.

Should I add my landlord as an extra insured to my policy?

No. You should never add your landlord as an extra insured to your policy for numerous reasons. This is valid because of the following:

  • Including them in your coverage will result in an instant rise in your rates.
  • If they submit a claim, your rates will go up in the future.
  • If they submit too many claims, your insurer may determine that you’re too risky to renew your insurance.

Above all, there’s just no incentive to do this. Your landlord has insurance coverage that protects all of their possessions. They aren’t required to get included in yours. If your landlord requests to add extra insured on your policy, double-check with them. They imply that they want to get fit as a side interest.

Who are the people who are interested in renters insurance?

Someone who gets information and updates on a renters insurance policy gets referred to as an interested renter’s insurance party. Some (but not all) landlords may ask you to include them as a named insured on your renters’ insurance plan.

An additional insured who receives additional coverage is distinct from another interest that does not get further coverage. As previously stated, including your landlord as an extra insured on your renters’ insurance plan is a terrible idea. It’s usually a mistake if your landlord asks.

Overall, adding more interest to your renters’ insurance plan should be free. If your insurance attempts to bill you, you should look for new coverage.

What are the rights of a certificate holder?

A certificate holder’s sole right is to get notified if the policyholder modifies or terminates his policy. He is not covered by the insurance and cannot file a claim. Your customer may be specific that you are covered and that he will get notified if the insurance gets canceled for any reason.


In conclusion, insurance provides various merits. And if you need more help on renter’s insurance certificate holder, the tips above will aid you immensely.


Adam Grabois is an expert in all aspects of Insurance and Property with 20 years of experience. He is a licensed broker of all lines including property, casualty, life, and health. As a licensed adjuster, he is well-versed in all aspects of insurance, and he owns All Needs Insurance agency in Florida.

He attended Tufts University where he earned his undergraduate degree, followed by a Master's degree from Columbia University.

Adam shares his breadth of experience by helping many businesses and individuals manage risk and protect themselves financially. He now shares this with the audience of the "Pro Insurance Info" website.

Articles: 281
error: Content is protected !!